Friday, June 12, 2009

boy scout steez

So I went to the supermarket on my way home from work today. As I was putting my cart away and getting ready to blast some Michael Jackson and eat some fried chicken, I saw this lady standing in the parking lot. She had a couple heavy bags with cans and stuff. She very nicely asked me if I could help her by carrying her bags to the bus stop. I said yes and took the bags from her hand. As she handed them to me, she asked if I could give her a ride to her house. I said yes and proceeded to put her bags in my car and get her seated in the passenger seat. On the way, she told me that she had asked a couple for a ride and they had said no. She said they said "How do we know you're not going to hurt us?" She's 68 years old and has Parkinson's. It turns out her daughter was supposed to pick her up and never came. She tried to call her daughter on my phone, but there was no answer. I got her to her building (a seniors building around the block from our last apt.) and there was a bunch of old folks outside. He said "Watch, they're all going to be talking about how I got myself a black boyfriend." I helped her to her door with her bags and she told me about a street festival. Unusual trip to the supermarket, but I'm glad I was there to help.

No comments: