Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Free" Wi-Fi @ Corner Bakery

So... while downtown this morning, we stopped in at the corner bakery to eat and get out of the rain before doing a little bit of shopping. I had my handy iPod Touch (which is currently updated to firmware v2.1) with me so I decided to see if I could access Corner Bakery's free wifi. I selected their wireless network and then launched Safari.
I was greeted with a welcome screen, which, after a click, led me to this survey:

I might not mind filling out the somewhat lengthy survey had I been using a laptop. However, on the small screen of my Touch, as easy as it is to navigate, I didn't feel like doing it. I thought to myself "Well, it's a survey, it must be optional. I'll just scroll down and click past it and be well on my way to wireless connectivity. Right?"
Wrong.
I scrolled down, clicked, and was greeted with this error message:

If you can't read it, it says "Please complete all survey questions before continuing."
Bogus. I just turned off the Touch and put it right back in my pocket.
Free wifi shouldn't have strings attached. I'm a paying customer. Feel free to ask for my opinion, but it shouldn't be mandatory.
Oh, by the way... these pics were taken in dim light with the wifey's iPhone. Not bad.

No comments: